Wednesday 1 April 2015

Good Grub and Eating Humble Pie in London









Hi there lovely blog folk.  I am well and truly back to reality after our trip to that there London Town.....sitting here covered from head to foot in paint!  I'm on annual leave now and trying to get as much painting done as possible, apart from getting some paint I haven't been out of the house at all.  Most unlike me not to skip off to the beach :)

Anyway I'm not going to show you photos of me painting, far too boring, instead I will share some of the photos from our trip.  A while ago in one of my 'Cooking the Books' posts I shared a recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi 'Plenty' which you can find under 'Gluten Free' on the side bar.  I love his style of food so I booked lunch at Nopi.  Oh my goodness it was delicious!  We had lots of little dishes to share, they printed me off my own gluten free menu which I could keep (yes I am that sad) and even the bearded one enjoyed it.  It's made me even keener to cook more of the recipes from his book, even though they have a gazillion ingredients!






On Sunday we were planning to go over to Camden Market but it was 'chucking' it down and I was still feeling a little fragile so we headed over to the V & A.  It is such a beautiful building with the most amazing exhibitions.  I had read about the Alexander McQueen exhibition Savage Beauty, now I'm not one for fashion, my dress code is usually scruffy old jeans. When I see the fashion shows on the television I usually mutter something along the lines of 'looks ridiculous'  but I have to eat humble pie now.  Having seen the clothes 'in the flesh' as it were, yes they are completely mad but WOW.  The hours and the skill that has gone into the costumes is mind blowing (yes I'm getting totally carried away just thinking about it)  They were cleverly exhibited, accompanied by evocative  music, fantastic lighting, it was like going to the theatre and an art exhibition all rolled into to one.   His talent will be missed.   If you get the chance I would highly recommend it.  Here a little film about the exhibition. (We were not allowed to take photos)



 Sadly lack of time and energy meant that I missed a lot of the rooms in the huge building, but here are some photos of beautiful objects that caught my eye as I wondered around waiting for our time slot for Savage Beauty.










As I said, it was chucking it down but I will share a photo of one of my favourite statues in London (including raindrops on my lens)



and also a local jogger?!



The end of our trip was spoiled by a most unpleasant experience on the train.  We were in the 'quiet carriage' when a group of drunken idiots got on and proceeded to use the foulest of language including sexually explicit, vile conversations and throw beer around the carriage.  The train manger told them off once after someone complained, and then disappeared for the rest of the journey as they continued to cause mayhem (as he probably knew they would).  We have written to complain, which they answered with a list of excuses, and saying we should have moved.  No! Why should we, they should have been thrown off the train!   I fail to see why on earth they would allow people who were obviously drunk and already causing trouble on the station to get on the train in the first place.  There should be zero tolerance to this behaviour.  I'm a pretty tough cookie and I was with the bearded one, but if I had been travelling alone I would have felt very intimidated.


Normal service will now be resumed, no more trips planned for a while.

Chickpea xx

20 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos.
    The Victoria and Albert Museum is one of my favorites. So many wonders to look at everywhere.
    The glass piece looks like Chihuly sculpture.
    As for the train, I so agree with you and would have said something too. For to long "we" move and accept bad behavior.
    We don't want to offend. We should be the ones who stay and the jerks toss off.
    The management is very wrong on this one.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame your trip was marred by idiots on the train, I am so glad I no longer have to regular take the train into London, people are so selfish, and the weak train companies, let them get away with every thing. Lovely photo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlene. I used to take the train most days to get to Uni, I'm glad it's only occasionally now, it certainly hasn't improved!!

      Delete
  3. Hi there,pics are fantastic thanks for sharing,pitt about the weather.OMG,I would have been so frightened of those yobs.WHY were they not thrown off at the next station,what is wrong with the train company,should definately not have been allowed to happen.So glad you are home safe n sound.Happy Painting !!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee, paint smell overload here at the moment!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a fab time. Shame about the train. But there are always people who are unpleasent . Agree they should not of been allowed on the train. Good luck with all your painting.
    Rosezeeta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photos what a wonderful display, nice to have you back from your trip, the restaurant sounds great :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, I think he should open one in Cornwall :)

      Delete
  6. Glad that it was mostly good. I love that Chihuly sculpture, I love his work! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen his work before, it's stunning

      Delete
  7. Too bad about the "lager louts" on the train. Regarding "Nopi", the funnest way to dine is to share a bunch of small plates. Have you ever eaten in a Korean restaurant? The best part of the meal is the variety of "Scooby Snacks" (called banchan by people who learn that they aren't really called "Scooby Snacks") that accompany the meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't eaten in a Korean restaurant, will have to check it out the next time we are in London.

      Delete
  8. Hey Chickpea,
    I'd love to see the McQueen exhibition. I've heard that it's wonderful. I hate drunken behaviour. They shouldn't have been allowed on the train in the first place. I should be painting some shelves ad a console table today, but am feeling very lazy!!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fabulous Leanne! Nothing wrong with having a lazy day :)

      Delete
  9. Wonderful photos, what a shame you trip was marred by morons, this type of behaviour is not acceptable neither is the response by the train company.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Anne, the train company are pretty useless! They have offered us travel vouchers but that is missing the point completely! It shouldn't happen in the first place

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful trip. Hopi is on my list of places to try as I love the Ottolenghi restaurant in Camden. And the Alexander McQueen is definitely on the list. Shame your return journey was marred though.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!