Sunday 7 February 2016

The Disappearing Lump and Other Things




The little stream through the woods has doubled in size.




I have had a lump in my neck for months, it felt like I swallowed a golf ball and was uncomfortable when lying in bed.  Of course I didn't get around to doing anything about it.....yes I know.  Anyway the doctor referred me for a scan.  On the morning of the scan I woke to ........ yes you've guessed it, no lump!! It used to be there I protested pathetically to the doctor as she slathered the gel all over my neck and clothes (deliberately I suspect for wasting her time).  This isn't the first time something like this has happened.  Is it just me this happens to?  So embarrassing.

The other thing that has disappeared is my nice big jam making pan.  I put it away somewhere when I cleared the house for viewings, and can I find it?  I have found things going back to my school days stashed away in the attic but the pan which was put up there a few months ago is nowhere to be seen. I seem to spend my whole life looking for things.  If I added up the time spent looking for things it would probably be years of my life.  Keys, phone, glasses all hide from me.  Oh well the Seville oranges will have to stay in the freezer for another week.  We are eating the last jar of marmalade from last year so it looks like I will be buying another pan if we are to have homemade marmalade any time soon.

My other failure is my lack of self discipline.  Hating shopping I decided to just do a supermarket shop once a month.  We get our veg, dairy and meat from our local food box company which is delivered weekly and I support another local greengrocer by buying all my fruit weekly on my way home from work.  If I'm organised and make a list I could get a whole months supermarket shopping delivered and never have to go near the horrible place.  Good plan I thought, but that wasn't taking into account my lack of control when it comes to crisps.  If they are in the house I have to eat them, I'm addicted!  It looks very unlikely that my months stash of crisps is going to last more than a couple of weeks. The bearded one did comment that 'they aren't going to last you a month'  He was right damn it.  I'm determined not to buy anything else until my next payday so I will be suffering serious crisp withdrawal symptoms until then.  Is there anything you can't resist?

I have looked at another house which was lovely and but the land was separate which didn't work for us so the hunt continues.  I'm afraid I am very behind with my blog reading at the moment so I hope you are all keeping well. We have had some flooding down in Cornwall, places that have never flooded before, nothing like the terrible floods up country, but for those affected still terrible.    It is driving me mad being stuck indoors, we ventured out on Saturday only to get soaked before we walked very far.  Everywhere is muddy and waterlogged and the poor birds look so bedraggled.  It wouldn't be so bad being stuck in if I could sit by the fire  and catch up on War and Peace, but it has been a constant stream of cricket, rugby and football much to the sport lovers delight.




I'm not sure where we will be living in the summer, I will miss getting my veg patch and greenhouse planted up but thought I could at least grow some early potatoes in bags, so they are in the window to chit.  Pots of herbs can be planted for the summer and lettuce leaves in pots, all things that can be moved.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  Preferable things that will be ready early summer and transportable.



 I will pop around to see you all when work madness dies down a bit.  Off to make some pasties for the family, you may hear some swearing when I am trying to get my gluten free pastry to stay together!  I'm afraid there's nothing exciting happening at the moment, work, housework and nothing much else to report.

Chickpea xx







13 comments:

  1. The right house will come along soon I'm sure x

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it were me, the preserving pan would turn up just when I'd bought a replacement! I'd never thought of freezing Seville oranges; what a good idea, now I just need a bigger freezer! It's amazing how often symptoms miraculously disappear on appointment day isn't it? Good luck with the house hunting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Losing the preserving pan that's the kind of thing I would do. However went one a little better than that we had the Gas Board in and I hadn't got a home for the preserving pan so it was popped out of the way and put by the side of my bed whilst the inspection went ahead. I went to bed that night not having had a chance to remove said preserving pan from side of bed. Had a nightmare in my sleep that night and promptly fell out of bed onto said preserving pan giving it a definite kink and a beautiful bruise to my thigh. Fortunately OH was able to remove the dint. I have a new preaserving pan as well - not sure where that is at the moment either. Weather has been pretty awful and I hope everyone keeps safe. Your forever house will turn up and it will be better than anything you have looked at thus far; its the way the universe works. Take care. Pattypan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to hear your news, hope the pan turns up it's bound to be right in front of you! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also often loose things only for them to turn up after we have bought a replacement. The last thing was a toasted sandwich maker, searched high and low for it, no sign so bought a new one, went to put it away in a kitchen cupboard only to find the old one exactly where we were putting the replacement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can really empathise with the losing stuff issue - I drive myself mad with it all the time! Could you borrow one this time until you find yours?
    Peppers and chillis can be grown in pots and then popped in a greenhouse or grown on a window ledge? Because we hope to move in the Summer, I have decided not to grow anything. I've got quite enough stuff to move as it is! We might have to move into rented temporarily anyway :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad it is not just me that looses things! Hope it turns up soon ;), along with the perfect house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I have been scanned to find a vanished lump. Better save than sorry was my consultants comment. Glad your lump is gone, you have enough to worry about with house selling and all. I loose anything that is not firmly attached to me :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. glad the lump vanished! not so good about the vanishing pan though....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad the lump went! That is good news, if mysterious! Hope that you find a house and your pan soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't gluten free pastry is a nightmare, I have given up and buy SillyYuk from the supermarket already done, can only get it in Tesco. I understand the crisps thing I love them too. Have a good weekx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It might have been embarrassing but I am glad your lump turned out to be nothing. Here's hoping for some dry weather for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know exactly what you mean with the lump! I had one in my breast which I had ignored (stupid I know) for months until my husband said get that checked it is very obvious. I went to see the doctor and would you believe it had gone down significantly within a day! She said the discomfort was due to costocondritis. Also if your GF pastry is even edible you are a hero in my eyes, I cannot get that to work and taste ok. xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!