Sunday 15 January 2017

"It's been interesting"






Boxing Day Dawn swim



Going back to work you are greeted by all your colleagues and clients with "how was your Xmas/New Year?"  Of course being British you don't  say "well actually the New Year was pretty crap"  and I'm sure most of them don't really want to know how it was, they are just being polite so I smile and say "it's been interesting" and move on to other subjects.  I will however briefly tell you  lovely readers of the blog that it started well with a good but exhausting Xmas but unfortunately our son became ill between Xmas and the New Year and was admitted to hospital again a few days before New Year and operated on yet again on New Years Day.  He is still staying with us and is still feeling very unwell but trying to stay positive.  There are an awful lot of horrible cold/flu type bugs out there and I'm really worried that he will catch something while he is so vulnerable. It really frustrates me when people insist on coming into work with bugs, they are putting people with compromised immune systems at serious risk.  Please stay home!





We did manage some lovely days over Xmas with all the family staying, long walks and Xmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day swims in an icy pool.  Spending our first Xmas in our new home was very different from previous years in some ways but the traditional shared meals and board games were all very familiar.  The first thing we have bought for our home is a lovely large table that we can fit everyone around.  It was made by a local family firm at a very reasonable price and put much needed money into the local economy.  That was our Xmas present to ourselves.  I had a couple of books to read but couldn't concentrate enough to read them, I found myself having to re-read the same lines over and over so eventually set them aside in favour of falling asleep on the sofa exhausted while catching up on box sets of The Good Wife (isn't Julianna Margulies just so beautiful)






I did manage to finish the shawl I started just before we moved.  I could't concentrate enough to do the lace edging so crocheted instead and I'm pleased with the result.  I find knitting very therapeutic during times of stress.





I haven't totally stuck with Veganuary but I would say 99.9% of what I am eating has been vegan.  Where I have come unstuck is the odd ingredients in some of my GF food, usually egg.  I haven't eaten any cheese, (I tried the soya cheese which was very weird), nor milk which I don't miss at all.  I think the only thing I miss are eggs which are an easy snack option.   I haven't had much time to experiment with new recipes, but managed Jack Monroes beetburgers which were easy and tasty.  Considering work has been hectic and I have been caring for our son, cooking omni meals for the bearded one, vegetarian for son and gf/vegan for myself and don't think I have done too bad.  




The kiwi fruit in the polytunnel have at last ripened.  I really didn't think they would and if I had the time was going to cut it all back.  Thankfully I didn't and have harvested a few pounds, they are very small but taste delicious.  I have peeled and frozen them for when I have time to make jam.  Has anyone a good kiwi jam recipe?

Sorry it's been such a long time between posts, I hope you are all well, I have missed you all and will hopefully find time to get back into bogland soon.

Chickpea xx

32 comments:

  1. Sending healing thoughts for your son Chickpea-x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your son but glad he's there for you to watch / fuss over 😉 Hope he improves daily.

    Love the table 😀

    Why have I not thought of growing kiwi fruit...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't take the credit for growing them as there were already here. Really enjoyed eating them as they are not cheap to buy

      Delete
  3. Lovely to hear from you but sorry about your son. Hope he repairs quickly
    LOVE that table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, good to hear from you too :)

      Delete
  4. That is one beautiful table. Sorry to hear about your son, hope he heals quickly and is on the mend. I have never tried making kiwi fruit jam but I am sure there will be lots of recipes available I quite fancy it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's the problem, lots of recipes and I'm not sure which one to try as they all say something different about pectin etc.

      Delete
  5. It's nice to hear from you! That table is lovely and what a pleasant view around it! Sorry to hear your son is unwell - hope he recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise, good to hear from you :)

      Delete
  6. Unfortunately the current workplace culture is very unforgiving to people who take time off sick, folk on minimum wage can't afford to lose three days pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a dilemma but if you spread it around the rest of the work force you are not doing your employer any favours. As employers ourselves we would rather people stayed home until they are better, and of course we pay them. Though I know many don't and have been in that situation in the past myself, no work, no pay. It is also about being aware of the danger you can put other people in, my 32 weeks pregnant cousin is in hospital with this bug after it went through her workplace, if my son gets it he will also be hospitalised. We all need to take as many precautions as possible and use common sense.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry to hear that your son is still unwell Chickpea, healing vibes are being sent from here too. The table is gorgeous, as is the view from the conservatory! Love the shawl too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Healing vibes are much appreciated thank you x

      Delete
  8. Lovely surprise to open your blog and find a post. Praying that this time your son will recover well and that no one
    Near to him brings in colds.
    Your table looks fantastic and just think; you have started new Christmas traditions in your new home.
    Am impressed by the kiwi fruit. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beachcomber, can't take the credit for the kiwi it was already here, hopefully I won't kill it off with my lack of knowledge and will have a crop this year :)

      Delete
    2. That's one good thing you inherited then. A tiny plus against some of the negatives. Sue

      Delete
  9. Nice to see you back again, I've missed your posts, I do hope your son makes a good recovery soon he's certainly been through it. Love the table and those Kiwi look great, I've moved my vines into the new tunnel and given them a good prune, hope this will make them flower and crop for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Anne, I haven't a clue what I'm doing just luck that I didn't give up on them and cut it all down.

      Delete
  10. I love your new table and am very impressed with your kiwi harvest. Sending get well thoughts to your son. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you VeggieMummy, it's nice to have a table we can all fit around :)

      Delete
  11. I hope your son continues to get better, he is in the best place with you to look out for him and the beautiful scenery around too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's less worrying having him stay here so I can keep an eye on him

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear about your son, hope he recovers soon. This is a little bugbear of mine with people who go to work even though they are obviously suffering and contagious. I used to work with someone who never had a day off sick even though she was too ill to work. She didn't have to as we got paid for being sick, but she seemed to be proud of the fact that she'd 'soldiered' on and came in. We worked on checkouts in a supermarket at the time, so can you imagine how many people she infected and the food she touched as she was scanning. It used to annoy me as I always caught a cold from her and my colds turned into chest infections and in the end had to go on antibiotics and have nearly three weeks off sick myself. Makes my blood boil thinking about it now. As much as I love my daughter and grand-daughter I will not visit them, nor want them to visit me if they have a hint of a cold. Some people are considerate and stay away from others, whilst others are selfish and think only of themselves.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to see you are back, have missed your posts. Best wishes to your son, I hope he soon gets back to some normality. Jan Bx.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our Christmas and then right after was absolutely rubbish, the worst it could be in fact so I totally get what you mean! Sorry that your son has been so ill again, I do hope that 2017 will bring some improvement for him. I agree with what you say about keeping your bugs to yourself. I wish that more people would do that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Chickpea, how cr@p to have that happen. I am sorry to read that your son had to have another operation. what and awful set back. I hope he now improves greatly!

    what about this recipe? http://cookalmostanything.blogspot.com/2009/10/kiwi-fruit-jam.html

    I have heard of kiwi cordial... what about a syrup for ice cream? hmmm yum!

    Look after yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear you've had a bit of a rough time of it but hopefully your son and things in general are on the mend now. I envy your kiwi fruits - I planted a kiwi vine about 7 years ago - it was meant to be self-fertile but hasn't produced any fruit yet but with each year I think, this'll be the year it happens!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's good to catch up but sorry to hear your son has been so unwell. Best wishes that he keeps well xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband had 5 days in ICU with pneumonia, then back to Emergency just after the family dinner on Christmas Eve.

    Hope your son is flourishing in your care.
    Quite a mission to contrive meals for 3 different diets. Respect!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Spring is coming , there are violets along the cliffs over here in Mullion :) I have never grown Kiwi fruit..it is time I did..I haven't got a polytunnel but I,m thinking maybe in our woodshed ..hmmmm..got me thinking .Hugs Daisy Debs :)x

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear that your son has been so ill and in hospital. I hope he is now back on the road to recovery, good and proper. People can be very inconsiderate with colds - my mum's carers would come in with stinking colds, and in the end one did for her . . .

    I love your new family table. Knitting can be very therapeutic when you are worried over something - it's the repetitive rhythm I suppose.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!