Wednesday 29 March 2017

Grabbing some normal while we can


Life is gradually getting back to normal for now.  Our youngest son will need further surgery when he is stronger but we are making the most of the everyday simple things that you miss when it all gets taken away.  Our lives are gradually expanding from hospital rooms, to care at home to getting out and about again.  I am now back at work and our son is enjoying little trips out with friends.  He is getting used to life with a stoma and is determined that it will not stop him enjoying life to the full.  Our worlds are expanding once again.

I love a simple life, I'm never happier than when I'm pottering around in the garden, cooking simple food, watching nature re awakening after winter.  I have missed these little things so much over the last few months.  It may seems boring to other people but these little things make me very happy.  When my eldest son asked me what I would like to do for Mothers Day, I didn't want to go out for a meal, I asked him to come over and help me shovel barrow loads of manure into the poly tunnel.  Yep I know weird.

I am in a desperate race against nature at the moment to get the garden and poly ready for planting, I just wish my old bones could achieve more in a day.  The beautiful weather over the weekend meant I was out working in the garden for 2 whole days and I'm knackered!  I am starting to see a little progress at last.......just a little.

We still have a little frost around


The fence that followed the line of daffodils which was blown down before we moved in will need replacing to protect the veg patch from the high winds we get here.  It looked very strange when all the daffodils started popping up across the garden.



I managed to get hold of some more cardboard so have progressed with the no dig veg beds.



Recycled, UV resistant pallets that were lying around at work and an old curtain rail have been put to good use to make compost bins.






I have been busy clearing the totally over grown polytunnel ready for growing our summer salads.  The grape vines and kiwi have been totally cut back, hopefully they will survive but I wouldn't have been able to grow food that we could actually live on without this drastic action.  It was also full of ants nests which didn't take too kindly to being disturbed!  It is as dry as an old boot in there so plenty of manure and compost is going on top.



and yet another no dig bed in progress to accommodate all the seeds I got carried away buying


The piquant pepper seeds sent to me by fellow blogger Dani over at ecofootprints a couple of years ago are still viable despite moving house.  Hopefully now I have a poly I can get some peppers to grow although it is nothing like the South African climate in Cornwall.




I have been doing a little bit of mindless easy knitting, yet another shawl.  This time I made up the pattern which is turning out to be a strange shape!


I planted some winter lettuce in a container in the poly a few month a ago which has gone to seed after being totally neglected, but isn't it pretty!



Well that's it for now, all very garden focused at the moment I'm afraid.  When I have a little more time I'm looking forward to trying some new vegan recipes which I will share with you.  I am keeping an eye on you all, just not having the time or brain power to put together coherent comments!

Chickpea xx

40 comments:

  1. Great that everything is on the up now, you've got s lot to keep you busy and it will be wonderful when everything starts growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed I don't kill everything before then, I am still a newbie at growing my own

      Delete
  2. So good to hear that your son is getting out with his friends.
    Love the photo looking out of the poly tunnel through the vine.
    Hope everything grows beautifully in your garden-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the bindweed will grow beautifully no doubt :)

      Delete
  3. So glad that things are getting back to normal for you. Agree - the polytunnel looks much better after the vine had a prune.

    Wow - even I'm impressed that the piquant pepper seeds have taken after all this time. Good old South African sunshine created them - to stand them in good stead :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping this time I will actually get some peppers as they will go in earlier and hopefully like the poly. Keep your fingers crossed :)

      Delete
  4. My peppers from Dani did fantastic in the polytunnel I hope yours do too,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have your green fingers but I will try my best :)

      Delete
  5. My friend had a permanent stoma due to ulcerative colitis, second child on the way with a gorgeous wife...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear, it is a lot to come to terms with when you are young. My son has Crohns, his stoma is permanent as well. Both horrible diseases!

      Delete
  6. It sounds like things are moving in the right direction. I'm so glad to hear your son continues to make a good recovery. My grandmother lived with a stoma for many decades. It didn't slow her down a bit. During that time she did everything from moose hunting to traveling overseas. Well done you on all the garden work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moose hunting! Wow she sounds like quite a character :)

      Delete
  7. Hey Chickpea! So pleased to see you are getting back to normal and looking towards the future. All your lovely seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sol, and I'm trying to squeeze in reading Handmaids Tale :)

      Delete
  8. Good to hear your son is getting better. You are doing wonders with your garden and poly tunnel, I like your compost bins, I think pallet ones are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all about the garden and the aches which follow, but hard work now always pays off in harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm hoping so, I will be so cheesed off if nothing grows after all this!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like things are looking up and I'm pleased to hear your son is recovering. I love your recycled bits compost heaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am a bit like a womble recycling everything :)

      Delete
  11. Coming on well Chickpea! Look after yourself.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm taking care of myself by eating lots of dark chocolate, well it is supposed to be good for you :)

      Delete
  12. Courage seems to be given to those who need it.
    Your son sounds as though he's facing up to what is a tough thing to have to cope with at his age.
    Good for him and well done you for giving him encouragement.
    It's hard not to coddle one's children however old they are.
    I'm so glad you managed to move before he was ill so that now you can enjoy the spring and summer.
    Do take things slowly so that you don't wear yourself out! Sue





    coddle one's children however old they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is amazing, he's had Crohns for 15 years and has still achieved so much. Yes I can't imagine dealing with a move while he was so ill.

      Delete
  13. I am so glad that your son is recovering well and is able to get out and about. It must have been a stressful time for you all. Your garden is going to be very productive and I love the colour of your new shawl. Happy muck spreading! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sending sending big hugs. Hope you get more sunshine soon so that you can enjoy your garden even more x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ordered some sunshine for the weekend, I hope it arrives :)

      Delete
  15. I am so glad to hear that your son is making a recovery, such a relief for you. I agree with your thoughts about Mothers Day, my son's cooked me dinner and dug over my allotment, far better than presents or flowers that die xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aching muscles appreciated it more than flowers :)

      Delete
  16. wow, you are doing really well the garden looks great, and I love that yarn, great colours. glad to hear your son is on the up. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank knutty nutter, it is lovely yarn just wish the shape wasn't so weird :)

      Delete
  17. Gosh, it sounds as though you've had a very stressful time of it lately. I'm glad that some semblance of normal is returning and you can focus on simple, seasonal pleasures and enjoy spring unfolding around you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving seeing all the buds appearing, all of a sudden the world is turning green :)

      Delete
  18. Gosh ! look at all those pepper seedlings ! Gosh you really have done so well growing all those plants from seed . I,m busy covering weeds with newspapers and cardboard too .
    Sending best healing wishes to your son :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daisy Debs, look forward to seeing what you grow :)

      Delete
  19. You have done loads so don't put down your hard work. It is a big area and will take time, enjoy the journey. (I have just noticed I tried to put this comment on your last post by mistake, oops!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes it is about the journey isn't it, I'm far too focused on the end result :)

      Delete
  20. Just catching up here and wanted to reassure you and your son. In 2006 I had a flare up of ulcerative colitis and had an operation which left me with a stoma. Was traumatised at the time but actually it was the best thing that could have happened as I have been well since then and the stoma is no big deal. Just an alternative plumbing system. All the best. X Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Doris, yes it is reassuring to hear of other peoples experiences. Good to hear you are feeling so well. :)

      Delete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!