Sorry for the random posts, life is hectic as usual. Our son had another operation on Monday so I have been spending an awful lot of time at the hospital then I came down with a jippy tummy, the only thing I could put it down to was a coffee at the hospital cafe, I do wonder if they clean the machines properly!
Anyway I have lots of plans for the house and garden but with a very sick son plans have been put on hold for a lot of things. It would be very easy to just give up on it all what with everything else that has been going on, however I am determined to grow some of our favourite things in the space I have managed to clear. By writing this down I'm hoping to give myself a kick up the backside to get on with it. I'm sure it will all be very hit and miss as I am very new to this grow your own malarkey, but this is what I have managed to do so far.
I am a huge fan of the 'no dig' philosophy so have been putting this into practice on my totally overgrown veg patch. Rather than try to tackle everything which is pretty impossible at the moment, I wanted to get at least two little plots ready for planting. I covered the ground with cardboard to suppress the weeds then put several inches of compost and well rotted manure on top. The paths around the plot will have cardboard and compost put on them and the rest of the plot will have black garden plastic to suppress the weeds including bindweed until I have the time to work on them. I am hoping to get another small bed ready for herbs. The polytunnel has a few weeds and nettles around the edges which I can easily deal with then cover the rest with compost and manure ready for my tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, courgettes etc. This will mean a lot of lugging barrow loads around but I will do as much as I can each day. In the mean time I have planted some early potatoes in bags and buckets in the poly.
|I have started to put cardboard around the beds, but ran out! These will be covered with compost.|
|Fleece covering the first bed.|
|Starting some early potatoes|
In the first bed I prepared I have some garlic growing and recently sowed radishes, kale, chard and shallots which I covered with fleece. In the second bed I sowed some carrots in a manure free section, ( I read somewhere that they can 'fork' with too much manure) I will be sowing spinach, beans, sweetcorn and pattypans. I have sown some peppers in a heated propagator so fingers crossed these will make an appearance soon.
|Bindweed everywhere! I'm sure it will take forever to get rid of it all|
It doesn't seem like I've done much, but looking back at the plot when we moved in there is some progress and hopefully we will have some veg to show for the effort in the summer. The previous owner used it as a dumping ground and had bonfires there to burn all sorts of rubbish before he moved out.
Another bit of progress with the house is the wood burner, i'm chuffed to bits with it. It even has a little oven on the top. Having a living fire makes all the difference to a room, I love sitting a listening to it crackling away, so relaxing.
I hope you are all keeping well, I will be popping around to visit when I can,