Thursday 29 January 2015

Crows in the House!











I went for an early morning walk on the beach, it was blowing a hooley, cold and stinging rain.......but I love it :)  I could never live far from the sea.  It was part of my walking 10,000 steps a day challenge.  As I was walking along I was thinking how lovely it would be to have a dog with me.  I keep looking at all the different types of dogs trying to decide which breed to get.  I even stopped a man yesterday on my walk to ask what type of dog he had.  It was a beautiful poodle/golden retriever cross, with the softest of fur.... sigh.   One day.

Anyway here are some photos I took on my phone including some birds catching the currants and two mad women playing in the surf.  They were taken in gail force winds so may be a bit blurred!












When I was walking back to the car I stopped to watch an inquisitive crow walking along the beach checking everything out.  They are one of my favourite birds because of their intelligence.  Little did I know that when I got home I would find two of them in my house!!! I kid you not.  As I walked in I could here banging and crashing which I thought was our cat having a mad moment.  As I walked in a saw a crow banging agains the patio doors trying to get out.  My first thought was that the cat must have brought it in, though very unlikely as she is frightened of them.  Then I spotted the other one behind the curtain, so there is no way the cat would have brought two in.  I opened the patio doors to let them out before they damaged themselves.  Then panicked thinking someone must have broken in and left a door or window open, but everything was all shut up.  The only thing I can think is that they came in through the cat flap.  Well you have to give them an A for ingenuity.  The cat was hiding upstairs terrified.  She still hasn't come down.  If you are a fan of the crow family, there is a wonderful book called Corvus, A Life with Birds written by Esther Woolfson who raised birds when they were injured or rescued from cats.  It shows just how clever they are.

I will leave you with this little video I took of the birds as I was trying not to get blown off the cliff.




We are off to St Ives tonight, we are having a Mexican meal for my sons birthday, I'm really looking forward to it.  Thank you for your lovely comments yesterday, and welcome to Pixie poppet.

Chickpea xx

34 comments:

  1. Oh I am so very envious of your walk this morning! I miss the sea, having grown up on the Devon Coast. Enjoy your evening out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would miss the sea terribly if we moved away.

      Delete
  2. crows have such vicious looking beaks, I wouldn't like them in the house, so glad you got them out before any damage was done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Love the sea pics as always. Corvids are good at coming down the chimney. And as for dogs, well you know what breeds I'm going to suggest! Westies and Jack Russells :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't think of that, we have jackdaws who nest there every year. I have just looked, theres an awful lot of soot on the grate so yes that could have! Clever you x

      Delete
  4. I'm so envious of you living near a beach, I love this time of year when the beaches are empty of tourists x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go to the beach more in the winter than in the summer

      Delete
  5. Hey Chickpea,
    You were a braver woman than I today! I was soaked through just from the school run, so have been warming my toes on the radiator. We have crows that nest in our chimney every year. Last year Marc put one of those metal caps on to try and deter them (I have no problem with them being up there...) About a week later I was sat in the garden watching two crows prise the cap until it was on a slant and then move in. They created their own grand design; a canopied nest site to raise their young. I was thrilled! Marc not so much!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. No doubt your walk was invigorating! I have registered an interest with a breeder to get a puppy. I have been wanting one for years, but my husband didn't want a dog, and I have some concerns as to how to fit everything in. But now my husband has left me, I thought it was time to take the plunge! All being well, I will be a dog owner by August! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you!! Go girl :) Look forward to seeing the photos.

      Delete
  7. I once prepared a talk about crows for a school project. I think they are amazing creatures. I am looking forward to walking the Cornish beach in July but hopefully it won't be blowing a gale. Lovely photos. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have a word with the Cornish weather for you :)

      Delete
  8. I would recommend a Jack Russell terrier or a Border Collie. Great characters and bags of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want something bigger than a Jack Russell, Border Collie is worth a thought.

      Delete
  9. A golden doodle! A friend of mine has one and she's mad as a hatter ( the dog not my friend!) but absolutely adorable! Well done for getting out there and facing the elements x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your video and photos!
    My in laws lives in Eastbourne and I love the winds that blow at Beachy Head, your video reminds me of that!
    I am happy to have found your blog, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There was a really lovely series of videos about a young guy who was "befriended" by a fledgling crow. Poor guy was so flummoxed at first, saying something like "you have two parents, I have two eyes" as he watched the parents freaking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just watched the first one, that crow really didn't want to leave. Look forward to watching the rest :)

      Delete
  12. You must have felt invigorated after your walk - and thanks for sharing the video - brought it all to life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'e just discovered your blog, and love your photos. I too live beside the
    sea and and like you had a health scare last year.

    take care
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. great pics as always, thanks for sharing the sea with me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a great time! Winter beaches are so beautiful but face numbingly cold obviously. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em, the beaches are amazing in the winter x

      Delete
  16. Brilliant pics as always,I agree,got to have my fix of the ocean can't live without it.Crows are amazing birds,I'm always watching them in our garden too,they drink from and wash in our bird bath.Do hope you enjoyed your meal.Take care

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, who knew that crows would be so inquisitive! Glad you got them out alright. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that book :) I have hand reared several corvids- 2 crows, a rook, a jackdaw and 2 magpies. I love them so much. So clever. You can read about a few of them here if you like :)
    Miss Tulip x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!