Wednesday 8 October 2014

Being Green is Warmer than you Think




 
Yesterday one of our walks took us to Stithians reservoir.  It is a beautiful lake and the weather was wonderful.  Today we have sunshine and showers.  We are very high up here and when the wind blows boy does it blow!  As I am typing I can see lightening flashes and hear thunder booming across the bleak landscape.  It feels a bit like Wuthering Heights!  We are VERY snug in the cottage though, probably a little too snug for me at the moment.  As I have mentioned this is an 'Eco' resort with everything done in the greenest possible way.  The cottages are insulated with recycled newspapers, triple glazed windows and doors and heated by ground source heat pumps.  If you thought green wasn't efficient, think again.  I will be glad to get back to my 'cold' house, I am a woman of a 'certain age' you know:)

Here are the photos from our walk from Little White Alice to Stithians Lake.  This part of Cornwall gets its water supply from this lake.



We passed a standing stone on our walk.  There are quite a few dotted around Cornwall






You can see the dam in the distance






My first photo of a dragonfly,  it obliged by staying still for me.  It looks like it may have a damaged wing which may explain why it wasn't darting around.




and back 'home' again,  the cottages are in the distance.




The owner has made these beautiful felt tea cosies for each cottage, along with other locally made craft products in the cottages.  I must try my hand at making these when I get home.




Out in search of the elusive deer last night.  The wind turbine probably frightened them off it was spinning so fast.



Curly tails


Looking at me hopefully for food.



It is funny how you don't see things until you have a complete change from your usual patterns.  When we are at home we have our routines that we have fallen into over the years which are not all good.  OH is often in his office all evening working on quotes etc. that come with running your own business.  On the days when I work I get home late, rushing to get a meal on the table.  Tired and grumpy and not wanting to speak to anyone.  On my days off I'm catching up on housework, decorating, gardening and all the other chores that need doing.  Before you know it another week has passed and we have had little time together.  These few days have been spent in a one up one down cottage so we are together the whole time.  OH is still working on his computer in the morning but we are in the same room so I have been reading on the sofa next to him in companionable silence.  We get up late, have a leisurely breakfast, take a walk around the land to see all the animals. Late lunch and another walk, dusk walks to look for the deer (we haven't managed to spot them yet) and last night a game of scrabble.  It may sound boring to other people but it really is what we needed to recharge our batteries.

Sorry if I sound like an advertisement for the place, but if I find somewhere I like I spread the word :)  


Thank you for all your comments yesterday,

Chickpea xx

8 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderfully relaxing. Enjoy the change of scenery - inside and out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing photo's the colours are fab,sounds like your having a lovely relaxing time. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks a great place, and such blue skies! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS !
    I would love to be there. What a wonderful place. I am so happy that you are having some lovely down time.
    Envious of the views and stone column. Adore the felted tea cozy.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone, its been lovely and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not boring at all my dear. Really lovely posts. Thanks for letting us know about such an enchanting place.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look like a lovely place. Glad you are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing wrong with you being enthusiastic about somewhere nice that you have found! I am so glad that you are having such a good stay and enjoying it so much. I know what you mean about the temperature thing, I am so glad that it is cooler now and that we don't have the heating on yet, I still have my fan beside me though just in case! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!