Tuesday 21 October 2014

Storm Chasing









We have a Yellow Alert as Hurricane Gonzalo is sweeping across Cornwall.  I couldn't resist heading down to the coast after work to have a look.  The power of the sea is truly humbling and not to be messed with.










































Really stupid place to stand.



 I have lived here all my life and witnessed lives snatched away by the sea when due respect was not given.  Most people were sensible and stayed at a safe distance, I have a good zoom on my camera so rest assured I was safe.  Unfortunately you always get the few who do not give it the respect it deserves, who do not realise how unpredictable it is.  The locals have learned the hard way with loss of loved ones and lucky escapes.  When my grandfather was a daring young man he swam around Godrevy Lighthouse with four friends.  Two of them drowned.  My father, a life long sea angler fishing off the cliffs often told of how he was standing on a rock on a beautiful calm day when a freak wave engulfed the rock.  He managed to scramble to safety as all his fishing tackle was swept out to sea.  Respect the sea.

Chickpea xx















17 comments:

  1. A REALLY stupid place to stand! I agree - the sea's power should be respected. I must say, I fear it and have had the odd nightmare in my life. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could look at the sea for hours. When we come down to Cornwall and I am waiting for D. to come in from fishing I am happy to sit in the car at Hannaford just watching the waves. I would have loved to havs seen them todsy from the safety and warmth of the car.
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I am so envious, I could do with a good dose of the sea!I love it wild ! Thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures that capture the power of the storm and sea. Some people just do not respect the sea and often learn their lesson the garden way, this also applies to people who mess about in boats xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not the garden way, the hard way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pictures, what is the matter with some people, it makes me really mad when you see them on the news and they have little ones with them,

    We had a very rough day in Devon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magnificent pics. Mother nature at her most powerful. Respect as the yoof would say.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is important to respect all of the elements especially the sea. I remember last winter a teenage boy lost his life in the West country during the stormy weather whilst out photographing the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, people often underestimate the power of the sea. Beautiful photos, Chickpea. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen the sea since August 2013 so I love to see it on blogs - beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing pictures. you have a real eye for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos. We also love to see BIG seas and photograph them. Although we now live an hours drive from the lovely rugged coast of the West of Ireland we try to get there when we escape from normal life, killing two birds with one stone, photos and seaweed for the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing photos Chickpea. I am glad you used a zoom, it looks rather wild. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous photographs... I could almost hear the roar of those waves. But glad you were at a safe distance though. I hope those two silly people came to no harm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all for your comments. Another young man lost his life near Porthleven Rosemary. They were on holiday here and were paddling in the water during the storms when he got swept out to sea. So so sad.

    Those two didn't come to harm this time Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a storm. I really enjoyed your photos. I hope there wasn't much damage to the beach or anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing photos! I really don't understand why people stand so close to the water, especially when the wind and waves are whipping up like they were in your pictures. I don't wish harm on anyone, but I do wish that some people would think a bit more!! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!