Thursday 18 June 2015

Having a weepy day








Since pressing the button on my last post talking about how busy I have been everything changed.  I have had three days in bed with a horrible bug that has not let me keep any water down let alone food.  No sleep and no food has led to a very miserable Chickpea.  To top it off I was woken by the horrible sound of chainsaws.  Peeping out the window my worse fears were confirmed, they are cutting down trees in the lane.  I have to admit I shed a few tears.

Why oh why do we have to get rid of any bit of nature that dares to grow in our cities.  Not satisfied with building on the fields that were on the other side of the lane.  They are now cutting down trees that line the lane.  The trees where the birds and other creatures have made their homes, the green corridor between the concrete housing estates with their manicured lawns and brick patios is being destroyed in minutes.  Years of growth gone, the morning chorus already diminished will be quieter.

I was tempted to drag myself out of bed to demonstrate with the workmen wielding their chainsaws but I have been here before.  I few years ago they cut down many trees in the lane,  I went and questioned them, they are meant to be protected trees.  Contact the council they said.  I did but nobody gives a damn.  Once the trees are gone it's too late.  They just carried on cutting them down, doing their job, just another day for them.  At least they can't touch the trees in my garden, including the one that was growing in the lane.  They cut it down but some of it snook under our fence and now thrives in our garden, a little victory among the destruction.  When I looked out of the window, there was a wall of greenery, now I can see the houses in the next estate.  I am angry and upset.  As the years we have lived here pass there are less and less trees.  They will not stop until they all gone.  I don't want to be here to see it.

I'm closing my blinds and going back to bed a little sadder and even more determined to find my own piece of nature that nobody can cut down.

Chickpea xx


22 comments:

  1. Makes no aense - no sense at all..

    Feel better (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. Our neighbour has cut down trees backing onto our garden, to build an extra house in their garden! An extra house! Town council objected as garden grab but county passed it. Decisions made by people who's doorstep it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tree's are so important in our world, they are homes for so many wild things, they provide shade and they look stunning. I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your sorrow at the wilful destruction of trees. Do you have a local Tree Warden or Guardian as we are now called? We work voluntarily in association with parish councils as well as the Tree Council to protect and look after trees in our local communities. Are there any other groups locally such as Bat groups or Buglife who realise the importance of trees. I'm sure if you did a little research you would find like-minded people nearby who feel the way you do and then perhaps you could contact the Trees and Countryside officer at your local council and see if tree protection orders could be put on the remaining trees. It sounds wrong and misguided to me to cut down trees that buffer neighbouring estates. I know you're feeling poorly and thinking of moving but maybe getting involved like this could be a positive legacy to the place where you've spent so many years. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's so horrible...i feel for you, i really do. i get so upset and angry when i hear of these things. i still can't imagine that, in times when we're supposedly more *aware* of the importance of ecosystems and the health of our world, that the willy-nilly chopping down of trees still occurs. it's so horribly short-sighted.

    i hope you feel better soon......take great care of yourself. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry that you are so sad. The nasty people who live behind us are always hassling us to cut our trees down and I refuse! I don't understand why anyone would want to cut down trees that they don't have to. Dead or dying or managed for wood production - I realise we need wood! - then yes, but not just for the sake of it! I hope you are feeling much better very soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just not right.
    I hope you soon feel 100% better and find your own patch with Lots of trees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too share your sorrow over the mindless destruction of trees, it makes no sense to cut down trees that are lining a lane. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a shame, and how awful that they didn't care about the nesting birds. I thought there were rules over that? You take care of yourself (and plant some trees when you are better). xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What happened to 'The wildlife and Country Side' act? this vandalism would seem to be an offence under that act, also nesting birds are protected from 1st March to October, we there nesting birds in these trees? I agree with one of the other comments, this is mindless destruction of trees. I know that I would be kicking up hell to anyone and everyone, even though the damage has now been done. Local MP, local radio, local paper. Whatever, kick up over it Chickpea, it wont bring back these trees but it might stop more being felled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awful. It makes no sense. These sort of people have no concern for nature at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah Chickpea that's so sad. It happens around here quite a lot. Wishing you well x

    ReplyDelete
  13. And then they wonder why our birds and other creatures are in such sharp decline. I'd cry too :(
    I hope you are well again soon and you don't have to see many more trees being removed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry. It is maddening to see nature destroyed, especially when it is something that is supposed to be protected. I can't believe they can get away with cutting those trees down. And I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly. That sounds like a pretty nasty bug. A trip to see the doctor might not be a bad idea if it continues. Hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear what a shame, it won't be the same without them. Hope you feel better soon. Maybe you could plant an acorn in a pot and watch it grow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel the same when I see trees being destroyed . It's saddening.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So agree with Anne; kick up stink, and get as many others as you can to join you. Good luck and hope that you feel better and in fighting mode soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so terrible :( as everyone says, it makes no sense. I've only ever met 2 people in my 48 years who don't like tress, so why they can't be left alone, I don't know! Sending you big virtual hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  19. How awful especially on top of you feeling poorly. It makes no sense at all. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a bit late coming to this post, so hope you are well on the way to recovery by now x

    So sad to hear about the trees being chopped down. I was trying to tidy up our hugely overgrown garden this morning and I realised that the more overgrown it has become, the more wildlife I see. I see more birds than ever now - next door put up the bird-feeders but, as you say, the "corridors" of greenery are equally as important for them.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!