Saturday 20 September 2014

Am I a Beardless Hipster?






Reading yesterdays paper I discovered there is a new subculture out there.  Well when I say discovered, I had been aware of the proliferation of beards and checked shirts, but I didn't know there was a name for them.  Even more surprising there is a backlash against them, Will Self being a particularly vocal opponent, calling them 'dickhead hipsters' who are taking over areas in cities.  How did I miss all of this?  I'm a social research graduate for goodness sake and I was unaware of this social unrest.

So what is a hipster I hear you ask.  Well according to The Independent, hipsters list of things to like includes gourmet burgers, fixed gear bikes, craft beers, pop ups, vintage shirts, independent coffee shops, truffle oil, bric-a-brac, granny's glasses, Bikram yoga, vinyl records, instagram selfies and  rooftop bars.  From personal knowledge of hipsters I would probably also add, anything made from old pallets and listening to bands with strange names that no one else has heard of.  Dress as above, and beards, the bigger the better, waxed moustaches and shaved hair on the side and floppy on top.

Well, I conclude from the above list that I must be a hipster.  I like gourmet burgers from the pop up burger bar in an old container in the city.  I used to like craft beers (can't drink them anymore because of the gluten) I like vintage clothes and independent shops of any kind,  things made from pallets and I listen to 6 music which seems to be a favourite with hipsters.  Oh and I like 'granny' glasses.  I have to admit though I don't like the beards.  I look at the young men and think, you would look a lot better without it.  Even though OH has a beard, and has had one the whole time I have known him.  I don't think it is particularly 'hipsterish' these days, being trimmed regularly.  Having said that, I recently found some photos from the 80's and there he was with check shirt, baseball hat and beard looking very much like the hipsters of today.  Perhaps he is the 'original' hipster!  However the flaw is, he doesn't like most of the above.  So I am probably more of a hipster than he is.  Are there female hipsters?


So fashion wise  I have been a skinhead (before all the BNP crap)  with a Ben Sherman shirt, I wasn't allowed the 'feather cut' and couldn't afford the jacket.  A greaser, jeans and leather jacket.  A 'hippy' when I was a Uni, all tie dyed and D.M.'s. I was always a punk but more for the music and attitude. Now I live in jeans, so I don't really fall into any category, but if I get a checked shirt I could be a beardless hipster.

Tell me about your former selves, any hippies, punks, new romantics, goths out there?

Chickpea xx



14 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, I suspect that although I would like to think of myself of a hipster - a good burger and an independent coffee shop are always winners with me - I expect that I would fail to be considered as a hipster by an actual real one!! If nothing else, I definitely don't have and hope never to have a beard and I don't wear checked shirts either! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to have gone through life missing out on all trends etc. Gawd I'm boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so ancient reading this. I come from the era of nice fitted sheath dresses, gloves, winkle pickers and handbag, oh, don't forget the button earrings. lol
    Tom (who also has had a beard for the duration) would not have been seen out without his suit, shirt and ties.
    Are you feeling the 60's . lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont have a beard but i love checked shirts, I buy long ones to wear with leggings, never really followed any trends except Bay city Rollers, I added tarten to my oxford bags. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. May be married to a Hipster as he has the shirt and the beard though his bike has loads of gears. Certainly listens to some weird music!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm I live in jeans and wellies but I HAVE to have good quality footwear so have pretty expensive wellies!

    I do collect designer clothes but all for a few quid from the chazzer or jumbles so I'm starting a new trend

    Chazzer Chanel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am growing a beard.... or so my children have told me. I have always been of the terribly well adjusted not noticeable variety. Boring on the outside only I hope! I have seen photos of my husband, he used to be a Goth. He is now half a hipster with a fix gear bike and a mended checked shirt. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post Chickpea. I am clearly way behind the times as I thought hipsters were jeans worn low! I was a hippy chick growing up, now I've no idea what category I'd fall into, which must mean I'm just me.... :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those beards and checked shirts are all over the Netherlands! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can definitely be a beardless hipster, love the definition! I like to think of myself as bohemian, that way I can away with my out of date clothes, furniture, general style and bonkers behaviour!!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well we may not be hipsters, but we are part of a social trend, BLOGGERS! We may not dress the same, like the same music, have beards, but we are a friendly group where all are made to feel welcome :) Perhaps we should have a secret handshake so we will recognise a fellow blogger in the 'real' world.

    Thank you for your comments, you all make me smile xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. hipster & punk! those were the days! My no 2 son is desperate for a beard! hes 14 and watching his chin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is funny! I think I must look very boring most days, in my uniform of jeans, cons and a t-shirt. I was a bit of an indie kid in my teens. I do really like a good burger and a nice cup of coffee though. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember once reading a little blurb about how dads are the original hipsters. I think it's true. These people look the way I remember my father looking when I was very young!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!