Wednesday 24 September 2014

Aubergine and Feta Bake






Aubergine and Feta Bake



 I have grown my very first aubergine (eggplant) and wanted to use it before something else munched it.  This is based on a Nigella recipe, but I have taken it a bit further by adding a tomato sauce and baking it.  I have just used what was available in the kitchen as I have not been able to go shopping for weeks.




First of all I made a tomato sauce, my usual that I use with pasta, so you can make you favourite sauce or even use a jar.






I then sliced my HOME GROWN ( I just love saying that) aubergine length ways and brushed with oil before placing  on a hot griddle pan for a few minutes each side until softened and browned.






In a bowl I crumbled a pack of feta cheese and mixed with chopped basil from the garden, some crushed chilli or fresh if you have one, ground black pepper and a splash of lemon juice.



Once the aubergine slices are cooked, place a spoonful of the feta mix at the end, roll up the aubergine and place edge down in a ovenproof dish.  Spoon your tomato sauce over the top, I had some feta mix left over so I sprinkled over the top, but it was a bit of a feta overload!  I would probably leave it off next time.  Place in a medium oven for about 20 minutes.





I served mine with wild rocket.

It's nice to be doing a bit of proper cooking again, I miss the little things that I usually take for granted.  Thank you for all your comments yesterday.

Chickpea xx



11 comments:

  1. It all looks rather delicious. Always tastes better when it's something you've grown too :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM YUM,
    Hope you're doing ok Chickpea,well done on your giveaway from Amy
    Best Wishes
    Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing, just the kind of veggie dish i love, I ate loads of this during my cyprus holiday with a sprinkle of sweet chilli sauce it was torally yummy! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Scarlet, CT, Sue and Karen, it tasted pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful, its so nice using something you have grown yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic. I'm not an Aubergine fan but I think I could be converted....x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very impressed by a home grown aubergine... And your recipe sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks really yummy, think I'm going to give that a try.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!