Saturday 27 September 2014

Saturday Randoms






After trying to think of an alternative pattern for the new grandchild's quilt, I have gone back to the original plan of pinwheels.  I am a bit stubborn like that, and get things in my head that I want to do, and then can't shift my thoughts to something else.  Anyway, I have made the pinwheels bigger so it is not so fiddly.  It is still going to take ages and a lot of faffing around but hopefully it will turn out o.k.  I have taken over the kitchen table, as my so called 'work room'  which is actually the spare room hasn't got anywhere to do the cutting  and laying out.  I am very envious of Dawn from http://doingitforourselfs.blogspot.co.uk who has a wonderful log cabin to work in.











There is fabric draped everywhere, and I will be asking OH to carry down my sewing machine to set up on the table as well.  I have to keep going upstairs  to my work room to sew, then down again to prepare the next blocks.  All too exhausting.  It will have to be meals on our laps for a while.







The pinwheels are not perfect but I'm pleased with them.  If anyone wants a tutorial on how I made them, let me know.







I have also been working on a recipe for quinoa patties.  I made some ages ago but can't find the recipe, I haven't a clue where I saw it, online, magazine, book could have been anywhere.  I doubt I will find it again. So I had a go at making up my own recipe, but they turned out too soft.  The ones I made before had a better texture to them and I couldn't figure out why.   Reading through my notes later I realise I had added too much water when I cooked the quinoa, all down to bad maths on my part!!!  I will try again in the next few weeks and post it on here, I am bit 'quinoa'd' out for now.

When we went to Perranporth last night we parked in the car park right on the front so I wouldn't have to walk so far.  It is a privately owned car park where there used to be a man taking the money.   We often go to the beach in the evening and could park there for free after the attendant had gone home.  They have now installed machines with signs saying you have to pay 365 days of the years, 24 hours a day.  Not even xmas day is free!  Talk about being mean.  We often go there on xmas day and new years day for a walk.  We will not be parking there out of principle!  I think a lot of local people will be doing the same. The council car parks by the beaches are usually free in the winter so we will be going to them instead.  Car parking prices in general just seem to be going up and up, is it expensive to park where you live?

The bar on the beach in yesterdays post had Wheatus playing there last night, I wonder if they still play Teenage Dirtbag even though they all must been way past their teens now.

I seem to be walking better, though still have to stop and rest, but I could overtake a tortoise now.  The one thing I long to do, but still can't, is lie on my side.  It's often the simple things we miss.  I continue to sleep on my back and snore for the forceable future.

Anyway enough of my ramblings, I hope you are all having a lovely weekend.

Chickpea xx

Welcome to Kristienbc :)





21 comments:

  1. Oooh, yes please, I would love to know how to do pinwheels, Chickpea, I am jumping up and down with excitement at the thought :-D Re the parking, we have very little free parking in town and a 2 hour shop costs me £1.30. It has, on occasions, meant cutting my shopping trip short by not buying a coffee in town or not buying lunch. The shops are losing out every time when the council is reaping it in. Not fair at all. Next weekend we are coming down to Padstow. We know where to park fairly cheaply there but will still have to pay something. We do love Cornwall though....
    Sorry to hear you are still in pain. Bad backs are a real booger...x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please, I'd love a tutorial though I cant make another quilt until the one I'm working on is done. It's still very much a work in progress. Depends where we go for parking, Chester is shocking, Mold not too bad & Llandudno is free where we park. Hope your pain starts to ease up more soon & I love the hare fabric or is it rabbit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat points on your pinwheels not the easiest block to do, well done.
    You have a lovely work area once you get your machine down there will be no stopping you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a quilt for my 24 year old grandson, you can see it 12th December on my blog. I like pinwheels but have never had the patience to keep making them.
    Toms quilt was all stitched onto paper squares and then the paper removed.
    I have another grandson named Perran after Perranporth.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pinwheels are looking good!! I look forward to seeing more. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could sew.
    I have a desk and craft space in our lounge - so I am with the boys when they watch TV in the evenings - but it seems to have exploded at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will put together a tutorial Pensive Pensioner and Joanne in the next few days :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Dawn, I'm having to take my time on this one, not my usual whack it all together style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow Briony the quilt looks fantastic! Lucky grandson :) Good name for your other grandson :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Amy, I think its going to take a while!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only started sewing in the last few years Sara, if I can do it anyone can :) Couldn't even sew a button on before!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'd love a tutorial please. As I live in a city they are now introducing darned resident parking everywhere, its a blooming nightmare trying to find anywhere free to park now,

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful garden view from your living/dining room, Chickpea! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just discovered your blog and started following it. I love the bunny print on the fabric you are using for the quilt! Quinoa patties sound great, but unfortunately I developed an allergy to quinoa several years ago. It's too bad because quinoa is used in a lot of gluten-free products and they are all out-of-bounds for me now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the fabric looks great. Parking fees are huge here too. I always look for the free ones and walk a mile in. Glad to hear you are on the move x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a lovely view Isabelle, which is probably another reason I find myself working there rather than up in my 'workroom' I love watching the birds in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kristie, thank you for following me. Thats a shame about quinoa, as it is such a good source of protein.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi CT. I usually walk as well, not being able to walk far at the moment has made me realise how expensive it is to park!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do all my patchwork-piecing at the kitchen counter. That's where I do my rotary-cutting too, since it's the only surface large enough for my cutting mat! I love the rabbit fabric in your pinwheel, it's a pretty color and rabbits are always welcome in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!