Wednesday 3 September 2014

The Year in Books - September





I really struggled to decide which book to read for this months The Year in Books.  Every book I picked up, I didn't feel in the mood to read.  Then I remembered I had this on the shelf.  This is the description

'In exquisite prose, John Lewis-Stempel records the passing seasons in an ancient meadow on his farm.  His unique and intimate account of the birth, life and death of the flora and fauna - from the pair of ravens who have lived there longer than he has to the minutiae underfoot - is threaded throughout with the history of the field, and recalls the literature of other observers of our natural history in a love song to the land that follows the tradition of Jeffries, Mabey and Deakin'

I have read the first few pages and I am hooked.  I made the right decision choosing this book.

Last months book was Cloud Atlas.  It covers six lives through six time periods.  They are written in different  styles including science fiction, comedy and crime.  The stories are linked loosely.  It is like reading six short stories.  I enjoyed this book, some lives more than others, but together they are an interesting read.  If you do not like short stories, it may not be the book for you.  The only problem I found with it, which is purely my own fault, is that due to other pressures I could not read it all in one go.  There were many days between reading sessions and therefore the book took me a long time to read.  The first 'life' was finished off at the very end of the book, by which time I had forgotten many of the characters.  It would make a good holiday read, where you could read it straight through with no distractions.

Thank you for all your supportive comments over the last few days, it's going to be a while before I am back on my feet.  Hopefully now I have changed pain killers I will feel more like myself.  Though  you will have to excuse the typos and occasional random nonsense through lack of sleep and drugs :)

I have been trying to do too much, and expecting too much of myself as usual.  I also worry about putting too much on my OH who has had a lot to deal with looking after his elderly parents.  I am so glad I booked a few days away for both of us, though I may well be turning up there in my pj's as I still can't get into any of my clothes!

6 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling better soon and take the time to recover properly. I didn't get along with Cloud Atlas at all and like you took so long to read it that by the time I got to the end I'd forgotten the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Gina I could not get on with Cloud Atlas at all, I gave up a few chapters in. The book you are reading sounds fascinating, one to add to the list..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was moved by your comment on my post, Chickpea. It's so true that we impose deadlines on ourselves, isn't it? I MUST be better by then so I can go back to work and not let others down etc. - so recognisable. In the process of not wanting to let others down, we in fact let ourselves down! Tell yourself: "I'll be better when my body tells me so, and no sooner. I will return to work when I'm good and ready." (remember: Life is not an emergency) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to write that on my wall Isabelle, Life is not an emergency xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll look forward to seeing what you thought of Meadowland next month :) It's just my kind of read and it's on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover of the book you have chosen, I hope that the inside is good too! Keep taking care of yourself there, it is hard wanting to do it all again right away, but taking time is right if that is what they tell you to do! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!