Friday 5 September 2014

Zombies and Mysterious Trees








I did warn you I would be posting nonsense sometimes!  The clip wasn't Mrs Overall but you knew what I meant yesterday :)


When we moved into our house it was a building site.  The front garden had grass and two trees and the back garden a fenced in lawn and one tree, which is now dead but I have left it standing as I like the look of it and I'm sure there are lots of little creatures living on it.  I have no idea what the trees in the front are, I am guessing they are type of  crabapple but can't find anything like them when I google it.  They are very tiny as you can see and don't grow any bigger than this.  When I cut them they are very hard.  Any ideas?





The first thing I did when I moved in was plant some trees, after living out in the countryside I wanted to bring a bit of nature into suburbia.  After many years of deliberate neglect I have a garden I am happy with.   We often have birds nesting here, and have had to rescue chicks that have fledged too soon and have been sitting in the garden tempting our cat.  I found a young bat lying in the garden that had to be rescued, we also have jackdaws nesting in the chimney.  Our neighbour thought he was being helpful telling us they were there and that we needed to put something on the pot to stop them.  He was very surprised when I told him, yes I knew and I liked them there.  We light our fire when they have finished with the nest.  While they are building their nest, we have twigs falling down into the grate and when the chicks hatch we hear them chirping for food.  I have seen beautiful jays in the garden, always too quick for me to take a photo, and every year we have young magpies kicking up a fuss.  There is also something that digs a tunnel under the fence, we have never seen what it is.

Being stuck at home with little more to do than hobble around I really appreciate my little garden, there is always something to see.  These photos are from just a few minutes grabbed before the skies turned dark this afternoon.  There was a flurry of activity under the tree, earth and leaves flying everywhere as the birds were looking for worms.  One got chased off onto the garden where the pickings weren't so good.  Sit quietly and a whole new world opens up, a peep into natures dramas.





 This little bird wasn't going to be scared off (not sure what type of bird, yes I am hopeless at these things, but I am learning)


The victor (female blackbirds?)




This one just peered over the fence at the activity



An abandoned nest from last year, it was in a old bird feeder but the magpies keep pulling it out


Something has been nibbling at the mushrooms


Completely wedged in snail shell, do they do this on purpose?


I take photos everyday, I'm sure the new neighbours must wonder what I am doing shuffling around the garden with a camera.


I was wondering what we were going to have for dinner this evening so I could instruct the OH when he gets home.  There was a knock at the door and my neighbour dropped this in, it was really thoughtful of her. :)  I am missing cooking, I can do little bits but not stand long enough for a cooking from scratch session.



Oh I nearly forgot about the zombies.  I am having some really weird dreams at the moment, I'm thinking it may be the meds.  Last night I was being chased by zombies!

Today I have been reminding myself to stand straight and breath deeply :)


Chickpea xx

Welcome to Claire :)

20 comments:

  1. Little by little you are mending, carry on taking it steady. Some good photos there. I'm puzzled over those fruit as that bit on the end looks like a medlar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to have nice neighbours keep taking the photos especially if you find it theraputic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to work out ways of cooking so that I can sit a lot - and it's not easy! I hope you can soon be your usual self again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it nice to have a lovely garden? I am glad your neighbour is looking out for you. I am being chased by Zombies most days when I go for a jog... I am using an app called "Zombies! Run" set in post-apocalyptic England :-) I hope your dreams won't be recurring, maybe a side effect of your medication? Have a lovely weekend. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are lovely, what camera do you use? Can you send your neighbours round to me, that meal looks delish!! Glad that you seem to be on the mend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is the thing tunnelling under the fence a badger perhaps? We have some which visit our garden and tunnel under. I thought the tunnel would be deeper but it's wide and surprisingly shallow :)

    Take it easy, pic xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look a bit like a medlar Sue, but not big enough,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love taking photos David, it gets you to really look at what is around you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Frugally Challenged, I really don't know why I hadn't found your blog before, I am a bit useless when it comes to all things computer. It is one thing doing the prep sitting down, but so difficult when you are actually cooking. Being restricted in your movements must be very frustrating! I know I am and it will only be for a few weeks x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just looked up Zombies Run Christina, it looks like great fun, I wonder if I could adapt it to Zombies, walk a bit faster everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Fran, It is a Sony Cyber shot DSC HX60V. David Ford talked about the Sony on his blog (he has fantastic photos) I used to use OH SLR but wanted something smaller I could carry with me anywhere. It takes great shots, the only downside from the SLR is that it has a screen and not a viewfinder so not so easy to see things if it is sunny for instance. But its ideal for what I want, which is a camera I can slip into my handbag and use everyday. I have no idea about the technical side of cameras so I use the auto setting mostly, very easy to use.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well thats a thought Mrs G, we thought the hole would be deeper if it was a badger, you could be right :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice to have good neighbours, would you like to swap for one of ours? x

    ReplyDelete
  14. No I'm hanging on to this one, the neighbours on the new estate next to us you can take........please!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mystery bird is a Dunnock, also sometimes called a hedge sparrow. They're ground feeders and spend a great deal of time flicking their wings!
    Possibly your shallow indentation/ hole under your fence is the in and out route of a hedgehog- keep an eye after dark and you may see/ hear it. Very snuffly sounds. Lovely little things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your comment on my latest post :)

    Sorry to hear you've been out of action, but glad you are getting there. What a lovely neighbour, providing a delicious looking healthy meal for you :)

    I wonder if your tree is whitebeam of some kind? That is part of the rose family too (as are crabapples).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope that the dreams stop soon for you. I had another weird one today right before I woke up, but nothing as bad as yours, but I know how disconcerting it can be to dream weird things. What a lovely neighbour to bring you dinner, that kind of thing makes such a difference doesn't it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you CT, I looked at lots of photos of birds and it didn't quite match. Now I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Louise, I will look that up :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it must be the pain killers Amy, hopefully when I am off them it will stop. Had another dream last night but I can't remember what about. I don't usually remember dreaming, it has been interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!